Wednesday 20 April 2011

Introducing Celeste

How I Got My Media Break…

Celeste,
Editor of Live magazine- “The Youth of Voice.”
  
Amidst a hectic day at a production shoot for Live, I managed to catch a few minutes with magazine editor Celeste.  At 19, Celeste has proven herself as an exciting new talent ready to take the media industry by storm.  Here’s what she had to say about how she got her media break…

“I started out at college, studying my a levels and on the side was doing as much work experience as I could.”  Following her studies Celeste also did an NCTJ (National Council for the Training of Journalists) specializing in magazine journalism, something which she feels has accelerated her journalistic skills to a great lengths.  “Doing the NCTJ really showed me the skills I needed and helped develop the ones I already gained on how to be a good journalist.”  She adds, “If I didn’t do the course I definitely think it would have taken me a lot more time to build up my skills and get to where I have.”

In true Catch style, Celeste says that her ‘foot in the door’ moment into the media was when she joined Live.  “I started out doing work experience which was great, I built up my contacts, skills, and I loved it so much that I stayed.”  Live was perfect for her, very much tapping into her lifestyle being a magazine aimed at young Londoners with a keen interest in culture and artists emerging from the urban music scene.

In her earlier days at Live, Celeste recalls an interview with a district nurse for the NHS, “it was a feature that was for a newspaper on nurses who were awarded for their outstanding work for the community by the Princess Diana Trust.”  Although this wasn’t one of her more glamorous interviews, Celeste feels that every experience is one to learn from and to take every opportunity to develop your skills.

Celeste’s voice lights up when she mentions the best interview she has ever done which was with American rapper B.O.B, her reasoning for this: “simply because I’m a massive fan!”  It’s opportunities like this, and finding out about the people that you love when one realises that they are in the right industry.  Woman of the moment Jessie J comes a close second in Celeste’s list of top interviews.  Big on the scene at the exciting age of 19,  Celeste is here to prove that hard work and perseverance is the key to thriving in this industry, like they say, age aint nothing but a number! 

Facts:
-Live has a readership of 140,000 across London
-Launched in 2001, the aim of Live was to give a voice to young people residing in South London
-Anyone can contribute to live as long as you fit into the age group of 14-22 and live in London.

Here’s the low down on Live magazine…







No comments:

Post a Comment